Saturday, May 12, 2007

Where It All Began

I don't have a conscious memory of when I became interested in fashion, I do remember always been particular about colours, or more importantly, colour combinations. In fact I plan on doing a post about that later on; colours that work well together. My Aunts tell me it was very difficult dressing me up when I was younger. Apparently, I would refuse to wear what they picked if I thought it didn't go well together. I suppose I could say that my mother was a great influence. She is fantastic in combining colours when it comes to wearing 'trad' (native Nigerian clothes), and it’s very easy to go wrong there as you have a vast choice of colours to work with. A special aunt also inspired me, but she provided more of an appreciation for designers. At the end of the day, I feel style is more than the clothes you wear, the accessories you own, its more of an approach to life. And that’s what I am trying to master now, but not in that pretentious way that makes one look down at other people, more in a way where you are considered to always be well put together.

There is something very important I have left out thus far, how would I describe my style? Well, I would say it’s very simple, bordering on boring in fact. Though I tend to be more lively, but still simple when making recommendations to friends. The reason why I say my style is boring is because it never changes. I have a staple uniform that only alters in colours. With colours, I am getting a little better; previously I stuck to navy blue, now I experiment wth colours, but usually in block form. Sometimes I try to inject very little elements of current trends in my dressing, but it doesn’t come naturally, as I don’t like or believe in trends. I verge towards well-known designers, but buying their discreet goods. At the end of the day, one still wants to be appreciated for one's spending power.

This all sounds like the ramblings of a drunken socialite, but I'm just trying to give you an insight to me, an introduction, a background really. Coming up next, Style...

No comments: